Five Toxins Lurking in Your Home That Could Harm Your Pet

To recognize National Animal Poison Prevention Week (March 19-25), our team is providing information on some of the most common household items that can be dangerous to your furry friends.

#1: Medications

Pets, particularly those that are food-motivated, often seize dropped pills before their owners can swoop them up. Moreover, they may be snooping through guests’ suitcases in search of pill bottles or investigating the countertop for snacks – which could lead to disastrous consequences if they ingest human medications! Don’t delay; contact an animal poison control hotline right away as medication overdoses can prove fatal for pets.

#2: Food

The kitchen is a disastrous destination for your pet, as it contains many hazardous treats. Chocolate, macadamia nuts, xylitol, avocados, unbaked yeast dough, alcohol, and raisins are some of the most toxic meals that can cause severe health problems such as kidney failure and seizures to alcohol poisoning, or extreme hypoglycemia in pets. To protect your curious four-legged friend from snooping around the kitchen while you cook dinner – get yourself an impenetrable trash bin lid!

#3: Houseplants

Protect your pet from harm by researching the ASPCA’s toxic plant list before you purchase any houseplants or flowers. Lilies are particularly hazardous to cats, and even contact with only their pollen can be fatal. Other common household plants that could put pets at risk include dieffenbachia, elephant ear, and spider plants; keep an eye out for outdoor varieties like ivy and oleander as well. With just a few clicks of research beforehand, you can provide beauty in your home – without sacrificing safety!

#4: Household chemicals

Keep your furry friends safe by ensuring all of the following hazardous chemicals are locked up and out of reach:

  • Cleaning products
  • Disinfectants
  • Antifreeze
  • Windshield washer fluid
  • Paint
  • Aerosol air fresheners and other products
  • Candles
  • Glue
  • Nail polish remover

#5: Batteries and coins

If your pet chews and punctures a battery, they can be susceptible to dangerous chemical burns; even intact batteries ingested whole may lead to metal poisoning or cause gastrointestinal blockage. Clearly, the risks of allowing pets access to coins and batteries are too great–so always keep them out of reach!

If you suspect your pet has been exposed to a hazardous substance, don’t hesitate – call us now!